Monday, February 19, 2007

One more sleep!

Well, I figured I might as well get this blog going before I leave. Only one more sleep! Dad and I are leaving for Toronto around 1 or 2am tomorrow (Tuesday) to get to the airport for my 7:45am flight. To KOREA.

I've been saying good bye to so many people that you'd think it would have hit me already that I'm leaving to live in a strange country for a year, but it hasn't! I'm kind of expecting to wake up in a month and think "Hey, I'm in Korea." We'll see.

I've almost finished packing, and feel surprisingly calm, cool and collected. Aren't I always though? Haha! It took me forever to decide on a school (and an age group - thanks Dad, you're right I was overanalysing) but I've taken a job teaching elementary and middle school. No kindergarten. I'm surprised I actually considered it seeing as I hate little kids and all (ok not hate, but not I'm not really overenthusiastic about them), and I'm glad I took the time to find this job.

A little crazy since I thought I would be leaving end of March, I only found out I would be leaving so soon about a week ago. But, I think I've said good bye to almost everyone and am ready to go!

So, to start off this adventure, an e-mail I received from the director of my school:


Dear Ashley
Do you want to use internet? Actually, After you make a ARC card ,you can install the internet. It takes long time. If you want to use it, you can use it(old teacher enroll-next time we can change name) In Korea, it is about 35,000-40,000won in a month
As soon as you arrive in airport, you can meet porter guy who pick up the sign (maybe your name). It takes 90minutes to come school. If you have a problem or question, call me.
Take care
Charles


Not going to lie, it took me a while to figure out what he's trying to say. And it's very comforting to know that the porter guy will be holding a sign with 'maybe' my name. Haha! I'm sure I'll figure it all out. I've also already been in touch with one of the teachers at my school, and she lives in my building so at least I won't be all alone!

Off to bed for some sleep now... next time I write I'll be in KOREA! Weird.

Night!


2 comments:

Faiza said...

Hey Ashley,

Kristin sent me the link to your blog. I hope you don't mind that I'm reading and cheering you on from Toronto.

Good luck in Korea!

Faiza (Kristin's friend from the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation)

Ashley said...

Faiza!

So glad to hear from you! And so nice to hear that you guys are thinking of me!

I'll try to have some extra fun just to make my blogs more interesting :)