Thursday, August 23, 2007

Everland (aka Ebah-land-uh)

Well, I'm officially on holidays!!

I'm thinking it's going to be a long week. There's not much to do when no one's around! I'm dog-sitting for a co-worker though, so it's nice to have some company. Her name is Miso and she's pretty cute. She cuddled beside me all night and woke me up at 10am by licking my face. Who needs a boyfriend when you have a cute little dog to keep you company?!?

So, last weekend at Everland was fun. Ridiculously hot, like I was sweating from the minute we got off the bus to the minute we got back on it. I was a little disappointed with the rides though. There were only 3 roller coasters, and not too many other rides. We realized that it's more of a family theme park. One of the roller coasters was amazing though, the best I've ever been on. It's the same as the Vortex at Wonderland, where the cars are hanging instead of sitting on the rail. I think there must have been motors in it or something, because the way we whipped around the corners was pretty crazy. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time, it was that good. The Koreans definitely have a talent for making rides (minus the safety factor of course).

Luckily there was a zoo too to keep us busy. Lots of monkeys, some tigers, a seal, some penguins, polar bears and a ton of birds. They leave the birds out in the open, so it was pretty cool to see parrots and cockatoos close up. The only sad thing was that the animals all looked pretty mangy and sick. Some of the monkeys were missing patches of fur, and the 3 polar bears were in a space together that is probably not big enough for 1.

The last ride we went on was the water raft ride they have at Wonderland, where you sit in a circle in a bumper raft. No one was coming out looking too wet, so we figured it should be fine (we were going to leave after the ride.) Not so much. Near the end of the ride a Korean kid sitting across from me got water splashed in his face, I caught his eye and I couldn't help but laugh at him. Well not laugh AT him, but.. ok yeah, I was laughing at him. But he looked so surprised! So while I'm sitting trying not to laugh too hard a huge waved comes out of nowhere and soaks ME, and only me. To the point where I looked like I had stepped into the shower with my clothes on. Not even the guy who was sitting beside me was wet. So yes, it was an excellent bus ride home.

Hmm what else? A story from school: I was teaching my younger kids how to answer the question "What does ... look like?" We did things like animals, and then I asked "What does teacher look like?" The answers were "Teacher has brown hair", "Teacher is very many tall", "Teacher has blue eyes" and finally one kid said "Teacher has big mouth". Totally, completely, 100% serious. He didn't even crack a smile, just sat there looking at me. Glad to know that my big mouth has not gone unnoticed.

One last story... I was walking to work the other day when I was stopped by a girl who asked if I could teach her English. My first time!! She spoke very little English, but managed to tell me that her family is very rich and she could pay me 2,000 won an hour to teach her. Sounded wonderful, except that 2,000 won is about $2 Canadian. Hmmmm. I'm thinking maybe she meant 20,000, but even then most teachers charge at least 50,000 an hour. I gave her my e-mail anyways in case she REALLY meant 200,000 an hour (hey you never know!). Don't worry mom I was very careful because you never know, she might have been trying to abduct me so that she could sell me to a rich North American who likes to torture English teachers in Asia (hey! sounds like Hostel 2!).

That's it for now.

Ashley xoxo





No comments: