Monday, March 12, 2007

Weekend Extravaganza

Hello!

Here is the promised update for this past weekend:

Friday night after work a bunch of us went out to Monkey Beach, a bar a couple of subway stops away from Miguem (where I live). We only went for a couple of hours, but it was good to actually get out of the apartment.

Here are Jin and I (the Korean counsellor at my school):



Please note that Jin is wearing 2 inch heels in this picture (and I think her feet are about a size 4!).

On Saturday Wennie and I met up at around 1pm and headed off on the subway to Gangnam, a popular area of Seoul with lots of shopping and lots of foreigners. The subways here are amazingly efficient and super clean. Wennie bought a new jacket a store that looks amazingly like American Eagle, I wish I had taken a picture. Anyway... next stop was Itaewon, from what I have heard the most westernized area of Seoul. We had to take a bus from Gangnam to Seoul, and weren't smart enough to check the bus schedules online before we left. There was very little information in English at the actual stops, and after asking a handful of Koreans who didn't know either, we saw in the distance the shining silhouette of a blond girl. Our angel! She was taking the same bus, and we got to chatting. She's been in Korea for around 6 months, lives in Itaewon but takes the bus to Bundang (my town) every Saturday to teach yoga. So we found ourselves a new friend and an English yoga instructor!

Anyway, tons of US soldiers live in Itaewon, and there's some great shopping. Everything from a tailor to make me jeans that fit to Gucci handbags (real and fake!). I forgot to take pictures, next time I will. So, from Itaewon we headed again on the subway to Yongsan station. There's a huge shopping centre, and an 'electronic market' nearby with all of the electronics you could ever want... blocks full of electronics stores. If anyone needs a camera let me know!!

Here's a picture of me at Yongsan station (just click on the picture to see a bigger version), and a picture of Wennie, Jin and Alex (another teacher) on our way to the subway:



After an all you can eat Korean buffet extravaganza we headed home and I had the best sleep I've had since I got here!

Sunday was boring, homework catch up day.

I'm heading to Fukuoka, Japan on Wednesday for the night to finally get my visa. I promise I'll take lots of pictures!!

Love

Ashley

P.S. Here's a poster that's on the wall in my local pharmacy... look closely....

No comments: